The architectural complex of "Three brothers"

  • 0
  • 0

Three brothers is the oldest complex of houses located in the Old Riga on the street Maza Pils (Small castle). These three buildings have survived from the 15th century. Today, they are the Museum of architecture and the State centre for protection of cultural monuments.

According to legend, three houses, closely placed to each other, really built men belonging to the same genus. During the middle ages, the street where the house was on the outskirts of the city. Here were artisans. In the house No. 17, the oldest of the brothers, was a craft workshop. It is assumed that the building of the "oldest brother" was built in 1490. The house has ascetic architecture, the only decoration of the buildings are 2 stone column in front of the entrance. This house was only 1 room that was used as a workshop and as a bench, and also a place where people live. Still preserved stone benches that are located on both sides of the door of the building, which are characteristic of the early Medieval times.

House # 19, which is the middle brother, is the most luxurious building from the point of view of architecture, among the three brothers. Input average "brother" is decorated with the inscription "Soli deo gloria!". Unlike the older "brother", in this house was a separate spacious living room with large Windows, while the accommodations were from the yard.

The youngest "brother" built in the second half of the 17th century. In this house, on each floor there was a small apartment. The facade is decorated mask. Which, according to the author, was to protect the house from evil spirits.

In the period from 1955 to 1957 were restored "three brothers". The work was carried out under the project of Peteris of Saulitis, with G. Janson. In the wall was built of stone portal, delivered from the lost House of the blackheads, and forged arms, with the date 1554.

Расположение на карте