Riga Castle

  • 0
  • 0

Riga Castle is one of the most famous and popular attractions of Riga, which are visited by Russian and foreign tourists. The castle was founded in 1330, the master of the Livonian Order Eberhard von Mongejmom. It was a three-storey building, surrounding a square courtyard. On the lower floor housed the utility rooms, on the second-order of brothers Kelly, master's residence, rooms for meetings, a refectory, Chapel.

In 1481, the outbreak of the armed struggle of the townspeople and the order. Riga residents began the siege of Riga Castle, and its defenders were forced to lay down their arms. For three consecutive days the townspeople smashed walls and towers of the Castle. In 1491, the order of the besieged Riga and the city capitulated. The townspeople had to return all stolen property and build a new castle.

Master Walter von Plettenberg himself drew the outline of the Castle as a 4-piece carbon building with corner towers. The construction of the new Riga Castle was completed in 1515, and was in the recent years the power of the Livonian order. Cubic building was reinforced by two powerful round towers-Tower of St. Spirit and Lead Tower. On the ground floor of the Castle housed the commercial service, the second Chambers of the master of the order, the brothers of the order and the počival′nâ Chapel. They were joined to the State rooms and refectory. After the fall of the Livonian Order Castle served as the residence of the Polish administration and has kept its value to the fortress. The castle garrison amounted to about 300 horsemen and several guns. When Riga came under Swedish rule Riga Castle was the residence of the Swedish administration. In 1649, on the site of the forburga built a new two-storey stone building with a corner Bay window. There is a legend that this Bay window ordered to build the Queen Christina.

In the early 14th century, the castle was surrounded by a defensive moat and fortified in the 16th century an earthen rampart and bastions. In 1682, the building was added to the arsenal. When Riga became part of the Russian Empire, at Riga Castle is the residence of the Governor General. In the 19th century, the castle was reconstructed several times. At Riga Castle from 1801 to 1803 year served as Secretary of the Governor General of Prince Sergey Golitsyn known fabulist Ivan Krylov. In 1938, the castle became the residence of the President of the Republic of Latvia. From 1940 until February 1941, in the Castle housed the Latvian Council of people's commissars, and in February 1941, the Palace of young pioneers opened here. Currently, in the southern part of the Castle houses the Museum of foreign art, Museum of Latvian history and the Museum of literature and art history name Raina. With June 12, 1995 year in Riga Castle is the official residence of the President of Latvia.

Расположение на карте