Cesvaine Castle is first mentioned in the 13th century, but it was the 1880s wooden castle on the left bank of the river Sula.
The Archbishop's castle was probably built in the late 14th century, as in the annals in the year 1410 mentioned settlement near the Castle. Cesvaine Castle is first mentioned in the year 1461. In 1479 the castle was for many years the order.
In the Chronicle Rusova stated that during the Livonian war in the year 1577, Cesvaine Castle occupied the Russian troops of Ivan the terrible. Were taken captive inhabitants of the Castle, but the structure suffered damage was not specific. The castle was inhabited until the middle of the 17th century. Cesvaine castle that was destroyed during the Russo-Swedish war. During the construction of buildings, the ruins of the old Castle were removed, and in its place was built the castle in the style of Historicism, Cesvaine built of granite boulders under the project of architects h. Grizebaha and a. Dinklaga. Near the Castle preserved buildings of the Manor and romantic park here in about 70 species of trees and shrubs.
Cesvaine Castle was built on the right bank of the river Sula. From the North and West it once guarded the River Valley in width about 50 meters and more than 10 meters deep. The river itself is shallow, at about 3 meters wide. The East side was a mill pond. The South side was the bastion, which was surrounded by a moat, traces of which have survived to the present day.
The main Castle was square in plan. To the South was the bastion of the same square shape. In the South-western corner of the bastion was semicircular Tower, where the entry. Later entrance was moved to the southern wall. After the advent of firearms, in the 16th century, in the Northern corners of the ramparts were surrounded by earthen ramparts.
Now the old castle only the Foundation of the Western Wall, about 50 meters long and about 1 meter in height. The width of the base of the wall is 1.5 meters. At the southern end of the wall as the ruins of the South-Western half-round tower in height of 1-2 m.
Guided tourists can explore the rooms of the Castle and climb the 30-foot observation tower, which offers you the neighborhood within a radius of 20 km.